College of Humanities and Social Sciences

Jobs and Internships

Folklore and Folklife internships are available at several institutions in the DC area. To get GMU credit for an undergraduate (ENGL 498) or graduate (ENGL 604) internship, contact Profs.Margaret Yocom or Debra Shutika. See a list of possible internship sites and registration instructions, below.

Internship Sites

American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress
See “Internships and Awards.”

Arlington County: Arlington Cultural Affairs Internships in the Cultural Affairs division of Arlington Arts.

National Council for the Traditional Arts
Internships with the National Folk Festival and other public programs.

Northern Virginia Ethnography Archive, George Mason University
Internships in archiving skills, folklore program development.

Smithsonian Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage
Internships with the Smithsonian Folklife Festival, Rounder Records, Folklife Archive, and more. See “Jobs & Research Opportunities” (includes Internships).

Smithsonian National Museum of American History 
Internships at the National Museum of American History.

South Arts
Internships in traditional arts administration.

Other options: You and your Internship Advisor may locate other sites that better fit your interests and needs. For example, graduate students have interned at the Literacy Council of Northern Virginia and with a professional storyteller.


How to Register for an Internship in the GMU Folklore Program

Toward the end of your first year in the Program, look at the sites listed above or imagine a site you would like. Check the due dates for internship applications.

By the first month of the semester before you want to intern, talk with either Dr. Shutika or Dr. Yocom about your interests and the site(s) where you would most like to intern. Decide on either Shutika or Yocom as your Internship Advisor.

Your Internship Advisor will contact the organiztion you're interested in to see if an internship is possible. Then, you'll contact the organization.

Fill out the English Department Form for ENGL 605: Internship in Folklore and discuss this draft with your Internship Advisor (either Yocom or Shutika). If you are an undergraduate, your course (and form) will be ENGL 498 Internship: Special Topics (Folklore).

Have your Internship Advisor get the Individualized Section form from the Department of English, fill it out, and submit it.

Print Friendly and PDF