All applicants for graduate study at George Mason University must meet the admission standards specified in the Admission chapter of the University Catalog.
Applicants to the higher education concentration must submit
- A completed Application for Graduate Study (online).
- Nonrefundable application fee.
- Application for Virginia In-State Tuition Rates if claiming entitlement to these rates.
- One official transcript from all previous institutions attended. Transcripts must be sent in a sealed envelope to the College of Humanities and Social Sciences Graduate Admissions Office or, if an official electronic transcript, to Mason’s official email address for transcript receipt. Official Transcripts.
- Goals Statement.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Writing Sample.
Applicants with international academic credentials should apply 30 days before the program deadline and must also provide:
- Proof of English proficiency: either TOEFL, IELTS, or Pearson Test of English. Please refer to the university’s English Proficiency Standards.
- Degree certificates, diplomas, or additional transcript documentation as outlined in the university’s International Transcript Submission Guidelines.
- Applicants may supply an official international transcript evaluation from an independent evaluation agency approved by NACES or AACRAO. The WES-ICAP evaluation service includes verified academic credentials as part of the evaluation package.