All applicants for graduate study at George Mason University must meet the admission standards specified in the Admission chapter of the University Catalog.
Applicants to the higher education concentration must submit
- A completed Application for Graduate Study (online).
- Nonrefundable application fee.
- Application for Virginia In-State Tuition Rates if claiming entitlement to these rates.
- Unofficial copies of transcript(s) from previous domestic institution(s) attended (uploaded via online application).
- Goals Statement (uploaded via online application). This essay demonstrates the applicant's writing ability and the background and credentials that qualify the applicant for graduate study at George Mason University. Applicants should also use this essay to express what they hope to achieve professionally and how this degree can help achieve that. The essay should convey that applying to this program has been an informed and thoughtful process.
- Resume or CV (uploaded via online application).
- The names and email addresses (via the online application) of the two individuals who will be submitting the required letters of recommendation.
After your application is submitted and reviewed, you will receive instructions on how to submit the following required item:
- Writing Sample (uploaded online). This document should be a formal piece of writing that demonstrates the applicant's ability to write at the graduate level, creating a thesis statement and using scholarly literature to make and support an argument.
Applicants with international academic credentials should:
- review Mason's International Transcript Guidelines to determine exactly which documents you must submit
- upload the Acknowledgement of International Graduate Transcript Policiesform linked in the online application to fulfill the transcript requirement section of the application
NOTE: Applicants may supply an official international transcript evaluation from an independent evaluation agency approved by NACES or AACRAO. The WES-ICAP evaluation service includes verified academic credentials as part of the evaluation package. If you prefer to have Mason evaluate your international transcripts, you should apply 45 days before the posted deadline date.
- provide proof of English proficiency: either TOEFL, IELTS, or Pearson Test of English. Please refer to the university’s English Proficiency Standards.
- submit your official transcripts in a sealed envelope directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions either via postal mail or in-person to:
George Mason University
Office of Graduate Admissions
4400 University Drive, MSN 4C8
245 Johnson Center
Fairfax, VA 22030
For questions regarding the application process, please contact the Office of Graduate Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org or (703) 993-9700.
Fall Deadline: March 01
Spring Deadline: October 15
All applicants are strongly advised to submit applications and all supporting documents by the program's posted deadline date.